The summer is finally upon us, and I thought it would be fun to list some of our favorite local activities here in Sammamish (we’re the city to the east of Redmond).
First, there are some great farmer’s markets. We love these because the produce is bright and fresh, as are the flowers.
- The Redmond Saturday Market takes place adjacent to Redmond Town Center, May through October of each year.
- The Sammamish Farmer’s Market takes place on Wednesdays at the Sammamish Commons in the middle of the Sammamish Plateau, late May through early October. It just started this year but from what I hear it is going well.
- The Issaquah Farmer’s Market is held in the Pickering Barn near Costco. Runs mid-April through mid-October each year.
- The Kirkland Wednesday Market takes place on Wednesdays, April through October, in the middle of Kirkland.
Next, a few fun summer events:
- We went to our first Fremont Solstice Parade yesterday. This is the place to go in Seattle to see the fun, fringe part of our community, including the famous naked cyclists.
- The Movies at Marymoor are great. The movies are projected on a large, inflatable screen. Bring chairs and blankets; it gets cold when the sun goes down.
- Fourth of July at Gasworks Park is a lot of fun. The best plan is to take a blanket, get there early in the day, and take it easy. If you don’t want to go all the way to Seattle, the Family 4th in Bellevue is a worthwhile alternative.
- The Redmond Derby Days celebrates Redmond’s status as the bicycle capital of the country.
- SeaFair is the month-long water and sea celebration, topped off (at least for us) by the air show at the beginning of August, featuring the Blue Angels.
- Bumbershoot, our local music festival, takes place at the end of summer on the grounds of Seattle Center.
These are my personal favorites. What are yours?