Jeff Barr's Blog

Things I Like..

Blog Repair

Well, I thought that the WordPress import had gone smoothly last week. Turns out that I had run it several times until I understood how the process worked. Between each run I would empty out the database tables, so that I’d start from scratch each time.

Unfortunately, I didn’t reset the MySQL “autoincrement” counter for each of the tables. This led to the reassignment of Post IDs which resulted in a number of broken links.

I just cleaned out the tables using the truncate command (which does reset the counter) and then imported the data file again. I had to regenerate the blog posts which I had written after I had generated the data file and I may have used the wrong dates in the titles. Apologies for any duplicates.

Of course I should really use named links instead of numbers and I’ll make this change soon.